Sunday 17 July 2011

Blueberry and beer muffins

Today's post is another guest post, from G:

For some reason, I put my hand up to provide some baked goods to my work colleagues for the Biggest Morning Tea held last month I took delight in saying that I would be doing all the baking though- everyone asked me if it was actually going to be my work, knowing the yummy treats I provide are normally not my own work!
I decided to choose a recipe from by beer cookbook, Cooking with Beer (not that imaginative a title really!). Having made successful blue cheese and ale muffins previously,  this time I chose the blueberry and ale muffins. It's a pretty simple recipe, the US book calling for Bisquick, which we don;t have here. Much easier to get together the proper dry ingredients of a muffin mix anyway.  So put the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar together, then mix in the blueberries (fresh if cheap, frozen-thawed and drained-if not), beer and melted butter.  Divide into muffin tins and bake until done (about 12 minutes).

Now, this was totally yummy, but not likely to win me any awards at the morning tea.  So after asking K about further options, she suggested a simple cream cheese icing and some blueberry coulis for drizzling on top. Best idea ever!
So I easily won the prize for best sweet dish at the morning tea and now my reputation for baking at work is up there with K. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment