Wednesday 27 April 2011

Easter extravaganza

In my family I am definitely "the baker" so am the one who prepares desserts for family celebrations.  However, for Easter one of my little sisters wanted to make the cake, so I rather ungraciously stepped aside.  For whatever reason, she couldn't make the cake, so the duty fell to me.  She had already decided what she would make, and had told people, so I thought I should do the same thing - even though it would be my first time using gelatine.


This is my version of the cake that was on the front of the Easter edition of the Coles magazine.

I used gelatine for the first time - easy, but gelatine stinks!  Apparently it is the same smell that stale jelly crystals get if you add hot water, but having never smelled that, it was rather unpleasant.

Start by making a chocolate cream oreo base (with melted butter) and pour on some chocolate mousse (gelatine alert).

(mousse mid-mix)

Then when that is truly set, pour on some chocolate ganache, made with a touch of butter.

(and serve with some raspberry coulis)


Oh and G outdid himself and bought me a box of 6 macarons from La Belle Miette. 
(super pretty packaging)
(strawberries & cream, chocolate, lemon, salted caramel, pistachio and raspberry - from the top left, clockwise around)
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment