Wednesday 16 February 2011

A food photography course

I was lucky enough to be gifted a photography course all about food - run at Michael's Cameras in Melbourne.

I had so much fun - even though I only have a little point and shoot.  Actually the instructor was impressed with the capabilities of my camera and said it was what he would want just to have around, when he didn't want to lug a big DSLR - high praise indeed!

I learnt a lot about playing with lamp settings (ie natural light, fluro light) and managed to create various effects.





Also had some fun with some salads and vegetables



And finished off with some cake and chocolate


So not all the photos worked - but I learnt a lot about my camera and how to take photos of food.  I also learnt that I prefer to get close rather than just rely on the zoom.  I think it is easier for me to compose the picture when I can easily reach out and move things, rather than jumping out from behind a tripod.  However, the other people on my course all had DSLRs and looked to be really enjoying their tripods - maybe it's just a question of camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment