Saturday 20 February 2010

Ben's pumpkin scones

Ben O'Donoghue (info about Ben) recently moved to Queensland and wanted to cook something that we would associate with that state.  Apparently, a former Queensland premier's wife used to cook pumpkin scones - and if I were older I probably would have known that! Flo Bjelke-Petersen, who was also a politician,  was famous in the 1970's and 80's for pumpkin scones - info about Flo.

Ben's pumpkin scones are a variation on his lemonade scones (which I have never made).  There was just one small problem, there was no pumpkin in my fridge, nor at my supermarket.  So I used sweet potato.  I figured it has a similar texture and obviously a similar colour!

The scones were pretty successful, however mixing the dough together with a knife was not fun; it took way too long, and in the end I gave up and dumped the dough out on to a floured bench and worked it together by hand.

Into the oven for 13 minutes, back out and serve with jam and cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment